The Insurance Institute of Kenya was founded in 1948 as an affiliate of the Chartered Insurance Institute of London. Over the years the Institute has grown by leaps and bounds to become the leading facilitator of insurance education in the country. It organizes for Kenyan students to sit for the Chartered Insurance Institute of London Examinations and awards Associate and Fellow diplomas to students sitting for the Kenyan diploma. Today, the insurance industry in Kenya has close to five hundred persons who have qualified and been awarded the ACII/AIIK and/or FCII/ FIIK diplomas.
Objectives of the institute:
The objects for which the Institute is established are to:
- Formulate, establish and maintain high standards of insurance knowledge, training, practice and conduct in order to enhance the practice of insurance and public confidence in the insurance profession.
- Store and disseminate such insurance knowledge by educational and training processes and conducting examinations, enquiries, research, by publishing and distributing communications and journals in such manner as it deems fit.
- Devise and implement procedures and methods for testing the qualifications of candidates for the diplomas and certificates of the Institute by examination in theory and practice or by other actual and practical tests and to grant diplomas and certificates of qualifications to successful candidates.
Affiliate or otherwise associate formally with any organization within Kenya or elsewhere having objects similar to those of the Institute.
- Institute, establish and promote scholarships, grant awards and prizes and to encourage education and excellence in the principle and practices of insurance whenever funds are available.
- Act as a medium of consultation and communication with the Government and its institutions established from time to time.
- Confer, consult, maintain contact and co-operate with other professional bodies established both within and outside Kenya having objects similar to those of the Institute.